by Bryan Reese
As some of you may have heard, we are introducing a new rarity in Emperor Edition: Premium. Every Emperor Edition booster pack will contain one Premium card. This additional card is a bonus card in every booster pack, expanding the typical 15 card booster pack to a 16 card booster pack. This bonus card comes to you at no additional charge.
So, what will be found in this Premium slot? As discussed in last week’s article, the back of every Premium card will have The Governor’s Estate, instead of the standard Fate or Dynasty back. The Premium card will randomly be one of the following
• Proxy card – Not allowed to be included in decks, these cards let you represent cards which can be created by other cards, such as the followers created by Kyuden Hida
• Draft rules – This card will give you the rules for the Draft format, allowing the ultimate ease for playing this wonderful, skill-testing format
• Koku card – Available in three varieties, these cards are worth a bonus 5, 10, or 20 Koku, as indicated on the card
• Ring collectible card – These come in five varieties, one for each element, and can be traded in for exclusive, and very cool looking, promo versions of the Rings, as shown below:
• Clan collectible card – These come in nine varieties, one for each clan, and can be traded in, like the Rings, for exclusive, gorgeous, full bleed versions of your Clan Champion or Stronghold, as shown below:
As you can see, the Premium slot is bringing a lot of cool to Emperor Edition, and it is being brought to you for the low, low price of free. If you are wondering how the full bleed or kanji cards without text will be handled at major tournaments, this will be discussed in the Floor Rules, though rest assured that they will be fully tournament legal. Depending on the success of the Premium rarity, we may continue it into the expansions, but for the time being this new rarity is only affecting the base set.
I hope that you have enjoyed this week’s article. Make sure to check L5R.com and clan forums daily for new Emperor Edition promos, and check back next Tuesday when Adrian Burton will discuss the art of Emperor Edition.